4 Secrets of Bumper Repainting
By following these 4 tips, you will be able to guarantee yourself flawless bumper repair.
It’s no mystery why bumper repair and repainting is among the most common varieties of bodywork. Bumpers are literally named after their purpose, which is to bump into things, so it makes sense that they will eventually become scraped up.
A bumper refresh is one of the easiest things you can do to bring the overall appearance of your vehicle up to par, and is a no-brainer if you have plans to sell the vehicle. Any money invested in repainting the bumper will be more than recouped when it comes time to sell.
Here are a few of our top tips for bumper repainting:
Pros Know Best
For professional quality results, get the work done by a professional shop. Unless your garage is a fully kitted out auto paint shop, equipped with a paint sprayer, drop sheets, and safety equipment, you’re best off getting the work done by people who have all these things.
In addition to commercial grade equipment, decades of experience, and sophisticated colour matching, pros will be able to take into account health and safety and proper environmental practices.
Car paint involves noxious chemicals that you don’t want to be ingesting or getting on your skin. This becomes especially dangerous when the paint is aerosolized during the spraying procedure.
The same chemicals that are dangerous for your health are toxic for the environment if not disposed of properly. Pro shops have the know-how for chemical disposal to keep all that nastiness out of our waterways.
Do Your Homework
With any repair, it’s worth doing your due diligence before choosing a shop. Calling shops and asking specific questions, paying attention to reviews on Google, and reading on company’s websites are all great ways to gather information.
Avoid being tempted by rock bottom prices, or you might end up with rock bottom results. We recommend that you:
- Get a range of quotes. This will give you an idea of what the repair should cost. Don’t necessarily go with the cheapest option, but if most quotes you get are around $500 and someone tells you they’ll charge $2,000, it’s obvious that they are trying to rip you off. A variety of quotes will help you get an idea of what you need to spend. You can get a quote from Island Color by getting in touch right here.
- Check out the premises. Once narrowing your search to a few options, feel free to stop by the shop and make sure everything looks professional. If the area is dirty, disorganized, or chaotic, you can bet that your repair won’t look much nicer.
Repair Blemishes Before Repainting
Whether you’re DIYing or calling around to different shops, make sure that your bumper will get repaired prior to repainting. You’d be surprised that some of those bargain prices are so low because the shops have no intention of fixing damage before repainting – they just plan to slap a coat of paint over the damage and call it done.
One of the benefits of Island Color is that in addition to a painting and detailing shop, we also specialize in minor collision repair. That means that all the work is done in-house, which helps keep the cost down and quality high. Check out our bumper repair/repainting service right here.
Procedure Makes Perfect
Once the bumper has been fixed of scratches, dents, and scuffs and is ready to accept the paint, there is more to it than a can of spray paint. A technician must:
- Procure the correct colour for your vehicle. Pro shops like Island Color have access to paint codes for every vehicle ever made, so we can guarantee a flawless match. We are also able to match any finish, including matte and pearl.
- Apply an even layer of primer to the surface. This gives the paint something to grab onto and will make the repair last longer and look factory-fresh.
- Apply the paint with a professional paint sprayer. The only way to get a perfectly even coat is to use a professional sprayer.
- Apply clear coat for protection and aesthetics. We use 2 layers of clear coat, because we think our work is worth protecting.
Find a Reliable Shop in Your Area
If you are located on Vancouver Island, then you are in luck. Island Color is your solution to minor collision repair and bumper repair. We have been helping customers for over 2 decades, and have thousands of happy customers. Check out our google reviews if you’d like to learn more about our reputation, and just get in touch with us to schedule an appointment.